The Perfect Smokey Eye In Under Five
This article was first published on Stylizen on 26th November 2014.
The smokey eye has fast become a modern beauty staple, starting off on the red carpet and quickly filtering down to anyone with a mirror and an eyeshadow palette. In fact, a search on YouTube yields over 330,000 tutorials alone! No surprise then that it is one of my go-to make-up looks. However while popular, the sexy and smouldering style can quickly become more panda eyes than pretty if you don’t know what you’re doing.
Luckily for anyone who falls into this category (which is most of us at some point!), there is a solution: Eye of Horus. Taking inspiration from arguably the literal queen of winged liner, Cleopatra, Eye of Horus products are based on ancient Egyptian formulas and ingredients, with a selection of liquid liners and smokey eye pencils. Not only do they make the classic smokey eye incredibly simple to do for even the biggest beauty novice, but they are also an easy way to spice up the look with the addition of rich pigmented colour.
As if it couldn’t get any better (hello, a smokey eye in less than 5 minutes!?), all products from the Australian owned company are suitable for those with sensitive eyes and fine lashes, thanks to the use of natural waxes and oils including beeswax, Candelilla wax, jojoba, almond and sesame oils. The result is a range that’s long lasting, non irritating, nourishing and one that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without.
The Eye of Horus Smokey Eye requires just three products: Liquid Define, Goddess Mascara and Eye Pencil. Choose the Smokey Black kohl pencil that effortlessly glides on for a classic dramatic look, or mix things up with their range of rich jewel colours. Adding colour to a smokey eye is a great way to make the traditional look a little different, whether it’s for daytime or for upcoming Christmas functions. It’s also an easy way to summer-fy the look.
Not sure which colour you can pull off or will suit you most? The general rule of thumb is to opt for the opposite colour to your eye colour. Blue eyed girls should try browns, coppers and golds like the Nubian Matte Brown, while brown eyes will look great next to shades of deep blue, like the bright Lazuli Blue. To make green eyes pop, choose plums, purples and lavenders – you’ll love the pigmented Jewel Amethyst pencil.
Alternatively, beauty gurus also say that going for the same colour but in a deeper shade than your eye colour is also flattering, which means green-eyed girls can rock the gorgeous Emerald Tabula eye pencil too. Because all pencils are made with waxes and come with a smudger on the tip, they’re easy for drawing, smudging and defining, saving you the trouble of messing around with shadow, blending ad brushes.
So ready to get the perfect smokey eye in less time than it’s taken you to read up to this point? Let’s go!
Eye of Horus Kohl Smokey Eye
- Pulling the upper lid taut, apply your chosen eye liner starting from the inside corner. Draw heavy horizontal strokes along the base of your lash line, working outwards
- Depending on how dramatic you want the look, repeat until you have a thick line above the lash line, then blend and smudge using the tip, blending upwards
- Lightly continue the line under the lower lashes, trying to keep as close to the lash line as possible
- Apply a thin line of liquid define close to the lash line, starting from the inner corner. Once you reach the outside, draw the flick as large or small as you like. For the perfect angle, flick out from the outer corner and join with the lash line, filling in any gaps.
- Finally curl lashes with eye lash curler, before applying the goddess mascara. Ensure you’re applying right from the roots with a side to side motion for maximum length.